The Isle of Man Government has worked with Isle of Man based banks to negotiate the Isle of Man Disruption Loan Guarantee Agreement.
The Agreement was introduced in response to the financial challenges facing businesses as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Through the agreement, the Island’s commercial banks support up to £60 million of new lending, 80% of which is underwritten by the Isle of Man Government.
The agreement was originally intended to close on 31st March 2021, however it will now be extended for a further period and remains open for applications.
The Agreement is currently available via:
This Agreement supports overdraft and term-lending facilities of up to £500,000 as well as asset financing facilities. The Agreement, which is for Isle of Man registered businesses with a turnover of up to £10million, will also enable eligible businesses to access six year term loans with Isle of Man Government-backed guarantees.
Features of the Agreement
- Loans of £5,000 to £500,000, for locally based businesses who would otherwise not qualify for bank support, will be extended by banks with a government guarantee in favour of the lender
- Existing debt will not be covered by the Agreement (consolidation/term - out of existing overdrafts etc.)
- No arrangement fee payable for the provision of the guarantee
- The borrower remains fully liable for the debt
- Under the Agreement, personal guarantees of any form will not be taken for facilities below £250,000
- Maximum term of loan is 6 years (For overdrafts and invoice finance facilities: up to three years and for term loans and asset finance facilities: up to six years)
For Isle of Man registered businesses with a turnover of up to £10m .
Excluded sectors include the following:
- Financial and insurance activities as regulated by the FSA;
- Legal activities, advocates, intellectual property management, accounting, actuarial, bookkeeping and auditing activities; tax consultancy, company secretary, management consultancy activities – who employ more than 30 people;
- Business regulated by the IOM Gambling Supervision Commission;
- Real estate (with the exception of estate agents, property management companies and construction firms)*;
- Property development;
- Public sector;
- Agriculture and fisheries.
*Please note: Estate agents/property management companies and construction firms can access the Agreement only for the purposes of funding working capital requirements in terms of daily operational cash flow. The Agreement may not be used for the purposes of making repayments on other borrowings in line with the provisions of existing clause 2.2 (c) of the Guarantee Document
How to access the Agreement
To find out more about the Isle of Man Disruption Loan Guarantee Agreement, please contact your bank directly. Contact details for the banks who are offering this are listed above.