Update 25 June 2020
Opticians practices were able to open their Practices on 20 May 2020 with social distancing but no sight tests.
From Thursday 25 June 2020 Opticians Practices will be able to provide NHS and private sight tests following the guidance below.
Social Distancing, workplace hygiene and good hygiene practices
Practices will be expected, within their premises, to adhere to the guidelines put in place by IOM Government in relation to good hygiene. Social distancing will not be necessary. https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/social-distancing-and-good-hygiene/
Providing Treatment to patients
Sight tests, both NHS and private sight tests may resume.
Opticians and patients must wear IIR Face masks when examining patients in their consulting room.
Every practice should carry out a risk assessment in line with their insurance and professional association for all elements of the practice.
Individual Patient Covid Assessment
Each practice will initially risk assess every patient to determine if the patient is considered low or high risk by asking the following questions on initial telephone triage:
- Do you have a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19?
- Are you waiting for a COVID-19 test result?
- Have you had close contact with other people in the last 14 days who are probable of confirmed to have COVID-19?
- Have you traveled overseas in the last 14 days?
- Have you had close contact with someone in the last 14 days who has recently traveled overseas? Includes border (international airport and maritime port), quarantine and isolation facility staff, air crew, travelers
- Do you have new or worsening respiratory symptoms including one of the following symptoms:
- sore throat
- shortness of breath
- runny nose, sneezing, post-nasal drip (coryza)
- loss of smell (anosmia)
with or without fever?
*Overseas includes any travel off-island
Only patients who have answered ‘no’ to all the questions in the above table should be seen by the Practice.
Optical practices must follow the guidance provided by the Association of Optometrists and/or their professional indemnity provider.