It is understandable that some children may have picked up on wider anxieties about COVID-19. The return to school and a new school year should be a positive and exciting time with children happy and relaxed. If your child is anxious, check out our guide to talking to your child about COVID-19.
- Put news stories into context – that serious illness for children is rare and that there are lots of children who are well and healthy
- Help children to feel in control – giving them specific things such as hand washing and wearing a face covering if they wish - and explaining the impacts that these can have
- Explain the role that handwashing plays to help stop viruses from spreading to others
- Be a great role model and let your children see you washing your hands often and wearing a face covering
- Talk about the positives – doctors have worked hard to help protect people using the vaccine, to keep us all safe and healthy
- Keep checking in with your children and let them know you are there to talk
- Further wellbeing help can be found at kooth.com and by visiting our 'Are You OK?' page.