Skip to main content

Day 7 testing

Isle of Man residents returning to the Island from the UK or further afield, may choose to book a test for COVID-19 on or after day 7 of their period of self-isolation.

If the result is NEGATIVE, it would mean that you could leave your home on days 8 to 14, but with significant restrictions still in place, to minimise the risk of any inadvertent spread of Coronavirus in our community, in the event of a false negative.

This option does not apply to the following people:

  • If you are a non-resident
  • If you have COVID-19 symptoms and you are waiting for a test to confirm COVID-19
  • If you have received a positive test for COVID-19 and are required to self-isolate for 14 days as a result

Frequently asked questions

How do I book a test?

Call 111 between 8am and 8pm to request a test for COVID-19 to be done on day 7 of self-isolation. 

How much does it cost?

The test costs £50 per person. This will be paid using debit or credit card over the phone at the time of booking. 

Where am I tested?

Once a test appointment has been confirmed, you can leave your house on day 7 and travel directly to the testing facility at the Grandstand at your allotted time. There, you will have a swab taken from your nose and throat.  You must then return straight home to complete day 7 of isolation.

I cannot drive – can I be tested at home?

Day 7 tests can only be taken at the Grandstand, however you may use a pre booked taxi.

When do I get my results?

The following day, day 8 of self-isolation, you will be contacted by the 111 team and advised of your test result.

If you have not heard from the 111 team by 5.30pm on day 8 please contact them directly.

What happens if my test is POSITIVE?

As has always been the case, if you test positive for COVID-19 you would have to isolate for a further 14 days, along with any other members of your household.

What can I do if my test is NEGATIVE?

If your result is NEGATIVE you will be allowed to leave your home, but you will still have to adhere to a number of restrictions for the remaining days 8 to 14 of modified isolation (see below).

Will I be issued a new Direction Notice as evidence that I do not have to fully self-isolate between days 8 and 14?

Yes.  Upon receipt of a negative result, the 111 team will issue a modified Direction Notice.  Residents are legally obliged to follow the Direction Notice.

What if my results are INCONCLUSIVE?

Poor swabs or inconclusive results will need to be repeated and will delay any modification to self-isolation. There will not be any additional cost for a second swab. 

Can a child be tested?

Yes. A child (a person under 16), may have the test, as long as accompanied by an adult.  The result of the test will be notified to the adult, and the adult is responsible for ensuring that the child complies with the restrictions and conditions during the whole of the isolation period.

If a child, or an adult in full time or part time education, tests negative, can they go to school or college?

No.  Even following a negative test, children or adults must not attend school, the University College Isle of Man, pre-school, nurseries or other day care settings.

What if I am an NHS Patient Transfer?

The test would be included as part of your NHS treatment.

Modified Isolation

If your test result is negative, you are able to leave your home during days 8 to 14, however some restrictions will remain. This will include no attendance at indoor venues such as restaurants, clubs, cafes, pubs, gyms, swimming pools, theatres and cinemas.  For the avoidance of doubt, al fresco dining is also not permitted.

Frequently asked questions

Can I return to work?

In some cases.

If you have a job that requires you to interact with the public, for example: teachers, retail assistants, hospitality, receptionist, you CANNOT return to work.

In non-customer facing roles, as long as your employer is happy for you to do so, and the working environment can be made safe for others, you CAN return to work.

If you plan to return to work, you should inform your employer that you are taking part in the day 7 test option, as your employer will be required to ensure adherence to the appropriate risk assessment frameworks for the organisation. 

You should also, as far as reasonable possible, wear a face covering, practice social distancing and maintain good hand hygiene.

Can I go shopping?

Yes, for certain items. You can shop for essential items like food and medicines. 

Can I go on a night out?

No. You must not go to indoor premises (other than to shop for essentials) during days 8 to 14.  This includes pubs, clubs and restaurants, cafes, gyms, swimming pools, cinemas and theatres. Al fresco dining is also not permitted.

Can I visit someone in hospital or in a nursing or care home?

Visits are not permitted to a nursing, care or residential home prior to the completion of the 14 days isolation period, unless the person you intend to visit is in an imminent end of life situation.

In this case you must seek approval from the Manager before visiting. The purpose of this is to ensure that the Care Home can access relevant clinical advice and guidance from the CHARRT team, in order to minimise risk to other residents.

The Care Home Manager retains the right to restrict or allow access to their home.

Can I go to hospital or visit my GP?

You must not, other than in an emergency, enter Nobles Hospital or any other heath or care facility unless with prior agreement from ward or centre managers. 

Can I go to the homes of friends and family, and can they come to mine?

It is recommended that during the period of modified isolation that you interact as little as possible with others from outside of your household.  In any case, it must not be a gathering of more than 10 people.

Can I exercise?

Yes. You can exercise outdoors, preferably away from crowds.  You cannot go to the gym or swimming pool or any other indoor exercise class or premises. 

Can I use public transport? (to include bus, tram, train)

No. You must not travel using the bus, tram or train.  You may use a pre-booked taxi if required.

Do I have to wear a face covering?

It is strongly recommended that when outside the home you should wear a face covering, practice social distancing.  You should always maintain good hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette and practice, for example, sneezing into a tissue or the crook of the elbow. 

Is there anything else I should do?

If possible, it would be useful to keep a record of people met and places visited to assist with contact tracing if it becomes necessary.