The current response level has been reviewed and new restrictions put into place following the deteriorating situation in the UK and community transmission of COVID-19 in the Isle of Man.
These new restrictions take effect at 00:01 on Thursday 7 January 2021 and end at 23:59 on Wednesday 27 January 2021 and be continually reviewed during this period.
What you need to know about the current situation and regulations in the Isle of Man during the 3 week circuit-break lockdown.
- Strongly recommended in all public settings
- Mandatory on public transport including taxis
- See Guidance on face coverings for more information
- Social distancing of 2 metres in all areas is required
Stay at home
- Work from home wherever possible
- When leaving the house, such as for exercise, stay local where possible and avoid unnecessary travel
Business and employees
Non-essential businesses are to close including:
- Construction (other than emergency or essential services)
- Lifestyle businesses
- Indoor leisure
- Non-essential shops (hardware and garden centres considered essential)
- Hospitality (restaurants, cafes, pubs) other than take away or delivery
- Domestic cleaners (including domestic window cleaners) other than where cleaning is part of a care package for vulnerable people (with suitable mitigations)
- Trades other than essential repairs
- Gardening and Horticulture
- Hardware stores are closed to the public
The following businesses can remain open:
- Manufacturing and critical infrastructure
- Waste management and amenity sites
- Builders Merchants, agricultural supplies (including pet food), hardware stores (for trade and click & collect only)
- Commercial cleaning businesses only (all other to close)
- Garages and bike shops
- Conveyancing, working from home where possible but allowing for essential services to be undertaken face to face
- Animal welfare facilities where the care is the subject of veterinary oversight or a recommended care programme.
- Doggy Day Care and Dog Walking to support essential workers and those that are disabled/ vulnerable or isolating
- Cleaning for commercial settings only
- House removals where contractually obliged to complete
Businesses are obligated to facilitate home working for employees.
A full list of business closures and further information can be viewed on the Business guidance page.
- All care homes have been asked to stop visits with immediate effect
- Hospitals are closed to visitors except for end of life patients
- Guidance to be provided to all health professions (Primary care, GP’s, opticians, dentists, physio-therapists etc) this will be monitored
Salary Support (for period up to 31.12) and Manx Earnings Replacement Allowance MERA schemes (for whole of January) are reinstated to support individuals.
See Business guidance for detailed information.
Schools and nurseries
- All schools and nurseries are closed to the majority of pupils
- Hub schools will be open for the children of essential workers and vulnerable pupils only
Further information on schools and nurseries can be found here: Isle of Man Government - COVID-19 School closures
Residents who leave after 00:01 on Thursday 07 January are not guaranteed return.
All returning individuals isolate at their own cost in separate household. They are required to get 3 tests on day 1, day 6 and day 13 at £50 per test per person at their own expense.
Exemption process for critical and national infrastructure, health and public interest still applies.
See advice on patient transfers.
Gatherings and restrictions
- No household mixing other than children of parents that are separated
- No indoor or outdoor gatherings allowed
- Funerals of up to 10 allowed (inside and outside, socially distanced, and face coverings to be worn at all times) no wakes
- Religious services not allowed (other than funerals)
See Gatherings and restrictions for more information.
Exercise is permitted for an unlimited amount of time, once a day, avoiding communal areas and only with members of your own household.
Those at significant clinical risk – those who shielded before – should do so again for the full lockdown period.
All care homes have been asked to stop visits with immediate effect.