Skip to main content

Household isolation and exercise

With effect from 00.01 am on Thursday 19 November 2020

Any person entering the island is required to self-isolate for 14 days, and this also applies to the whole household. All those in self-isolation are permitted to have one hour of outdoor exercise per day, using a face covering, as long as you are not showing any symptoms of COVID-19.

If you cannot isolate as a household, the government has provided a financial package that could allow you to self-isolate away from your home. Please see this page for more detail and frequently asked questions.

For information on the rules around self-isolation please see this guidance.

Frequently asked questions

I arrived on the island before the new regulations regarding household isolation and exercise came into force on Thursday 19 November. Does my household have to self-isolate and can I exercise?

If you have arrived before the new regulations came in to force then the direction notice issued to you on arrival stands. Your household does not have isolate with you for 14 days (unless you become symptomatic or test positive).

From 24 November, in addition to the Direction Notice you have already received you may now exercise outdoors for one hour a day, for the remaining duration of your isolation period, under the following conditions:

  • You must wear a face mask or other suitable face covering and
  • You must ensure that you maintain a distance of at least 2 meets from any other person

I have an annex as part of my main house. Can I self–isolate in there without the rest of my household needing to isolate as well? Or can my household move into the annex and I isolate in the main house?

Yes, either way is acceptable. An annex is a building or part of a building which has been constructed or adapted for use as a separate living accommodation. This is acceptable to self-isolate in as long as it meets the following requirements:

  • It has a separate external door – it must be fully accessible from outside
  • Facilities within that do not need to be shared i.e. kitchen, bathroom
  • Any internal access must be able to be secured from within the annex

This also applies to a mobile static or temporary home which must remain at a fixed location for the period of the self-isolation, so long as waste disposal and water provisions can be met by the person in isolation.

I have a motorhome. Can I self-isolate in there away from my household? 

  • Yes, as long as it is fully self-contained as detailed above, and there is no requirement to share facilities.
  • You must ensure that waste disposal and the provision of fuel is undertaken by someone in your household.
  • The motorhome must remain in place for the duration of the period of self-isolation.

If the motor home is parked on the property can I access the gardens and driveway? 

Yes as long you do not come into contact with anyone from your household at any time.

Can the motorhome be parked on the street?

If there is a driveway available then the motorhome should be parked there. If there is no driveway available then it must be parked in the street outside your home to ensure that waste disposal can be undertaken. All steps must be taken, when exiting the vehicle to exercise, to ensure that the area is clear of other passing pedestrians.

I have an ensuite in my house. Can I self–isolate in my bedroom without the rest of my household needing to isolate as well?

No. The alternative accommodation must be fully self-contained as described above.

Can I self-isolate in a tent /horsebox/converted garage/shed in the garden?

No. The alternative accommodation must be fully self-contained as described above.

I live in a flat. Can I take my rubbish out and collect my mail?

Yes. It is recommended that you do this as part of your daily exercise i.e. put out rubbish, go for a walk, collect mail on return. Ensure you use face coverings and pay close attention to respiratory and hand hygiene, and avoid others as far as possible. 

I live in a multiple occupancy house with one entrance e.g. a bedsit. Does everyone have to self-isolate? 

Anyone living in a bedsit, or other multiple occupancy house, that has shared use of bathroom and/or kitchen facilities, must not isolate at that address. You should self-isolate in separate accommodation, and use the financial assistance scheme provided by DFE.

I have already paid for my accommodation, planning ahead, but am not due to return to the island until after the 19th. Can I get a refund and rebook; am I eligible for the £250 per week scheme? 

14 day stays with a check in date between 19 Nov and 31 December are eligible. Payments for the scheme are paid to the accommodation provider. If you have already paid for your accommodation please contact your accommodation provider or booking agent.

Can another household member (who has not travelled) apply for the £250 per week to stay elsewhere, allowing the returning resident to stay in the home for whatever reason? (this would usually be down to a health concern related to the returning resident)

Yes - but they would only be eligible for the amount for the returning resident so as an example: if there is 1 returning resident they would be eligible for 1 person x up to £250 per week.

Can I exercise?

Yes. As long as you do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 you are allowed to exercise outdoors for 1 hour a day. You must follow these guidelines:

  • You must wear a face covering
  • You must socially distance from other people
  • You must exercise alone or with members of your own household

Can I meet a friend for walk?

No. You must not meet with anyone outside of your household.

Can I drive somewhere in my car to take my exercise?

Yes, you can drive to another location, preferably away from densely populated areas. The one hour starts from when you leave your house.

I am leaving the island again before the 14 days isolation is completed. Do the rest of my household have to continue with the self-isolation?

Yes. The remaining members of the household must continue to self-isolate until the 14 day period is complete.

If I’m a household member isolating due to someone having entered my household following their return from the UK, can I leave the Island during my isolation period? 

Yes. You are required to contact the Travel Notification Service Team on +44 1624 687171 or at before you leave. 

If you are leaving the Island, you must travel directly from the specified premises to the Port from which you have pre-booked travel to depart from the Island and must follow all on Island travel risk mitigation conditions which include the wearing of face coverings, social distancing, travelling on Island by walking or by pre booked taxi.

I am a key worker and have had a negative test on day 7. Can I move back into the family home on day 8?

Yes, if you have a negative test your direction notice will be modified, and it will allow you to return to the family home without the requirement for the whole household to isolate.

I have a carer. Can they still visit me in a non-emergency?

If you are in need of care in your home then your carer can still visit you, however they must wear full PPE at all times, maintaining social distancing and good hand hygiene for the duration of the visit. You must advise your carer in advance of the visit that you are in self isolation. The carer will need to perform their risk assessment if employed by an agency/government.

Can I visit my GP or any other healthcare centre during the isolation period? 

No. You must not leave your house, other than for 1 hour to exercise outdoors, for the duration of the period of self-isolation. If you require regular medication, you must make arrangements to ensure this can be dropped off to you. You can contact your GP for telephone advice if required.

Can I go to hospital in an emergency? 

Yes, in the case of an emergency you must dial 999 and attend hospital if necessary. Please tell 999 you are self–isolating, if you can.